Sunday, December 6, 2009

Connectivism


I am absolutely sure that networks have changed the way I learn. I believe that as we enter the digital age more and more networks are transitioning into a virtual landscape which provides complete accessibility. In elementary school my teacher was impressed when I referenced an encyclopedia for a science project. At that time my network of knowledge was solely based on the New World Encyclopedia Volumes A-Z. In middle school I was able to access the library systems of information. I could read books, lookup articles and research in microfilm archives. In high school the internet vastly expanded my ability to access information. From my home PC I could visit websites of global corporations or email my friend in Venezuela. The skills I needed for each phase of learning had to become progressively more complex; mainly due to the technological advances of the various information resources.

Currently the digital tool I use the most to learn is Google. With that tool I am able to quickly and effectively index ideas, images, articles, blog posts, retail prices, stock portfolios, etc. My friends always joke that I am the smartest person they know. They do not realize that when posed with an intriguing question I always Google the answer. I have always found Google to be the best starting point when searching for answers. I am able to access a global network of information by a few simple key strokes. With the new translator functions I am no longer limited to data published in English.

My personal learning network completely supports the tenets of connectivism. It is mainly based on social networks connected through technological advances. Without this connection my network would be extremely limited to local resources. My access to information through the internet has expanded my ability to learn information but also how to access it. This tenet of connectivism has infiltrated into every aspect of my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment